Department of Art after 1800
The Artaria Foundation was established by Lóránd Hegyi in conjunction with artists and art historians. The objective was to fill a gap in the Hungarian art scene by creating a collection focusing on international contemporary art trends that had hitherto only been sporadically presented in Hungary, and to show these trends together with works by contemporary Hungarian artists. The collection of pieces by artists from Hungary and abroad was placed on long-term loan in the Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest in the 1990s, and in 2017, the entire collection of around sixty works was donated permanently to the institution. The works by Hungarian artists now enrich the Contemporary Collection at the Hungarian National Gallery, while those by foreign artists grace the Department of International Art after 1800 at the Museum of Fine Arts. The new set of almost forty artworks represents the most significant recent acquisition by the Department of International Art after 1800, and certain pieces have already been successfully presented – in the years when they were still on loan – in the museum’s permanent exhibitions of twentieth-century and contemporary art. The department’s current exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts also features a number of works from the Artaria Donation, including pieces by Michelangelo Pistoletto, Erwin Wurm, Anne & Patrick Poirier, Braco Dimitrijević, Otto Muehl, Bertrand Lavier and Erró. In 2019, we showed a narrow selection of paintings from the Artaria Donation. Following on from this, the present exhibition offers a selection of the sculptures, objects and installations contained within the rich collection of works, focusing on artists such as Lawrence Weiner, Manfred Wakolbinger and Motti Mizrachi.
Curator: Dávid Fehér
Co-curator: Dominika Eszter Sodics
Cabinet exhibition of the Collection of International Art after 1800.